Anycast for Everyone
Back at the beginning of 2013 we began rolling out our new Anycast network. As of yesterday, December 27th, we've replaced our Unicast servers with Anycast. All DNSimple customers now have access to our Anycast network at no additional charge.
Here are some common questions you might have about this change, along with their answers.
What do I need to do to enable Anycast?
- If you were using our Unicast network with our name servers ns1.dnsimple.com through ns4.dnsimple.com, then you do not need to do anything - we've already switched you over to Anycast.
- If you are using our Anycast network with our name servers ns1a.dnsimple.com through ns4a.dnsimple.com, and your domain is registered with us, then we will be switching your name servers back to ns1.dnsimple.com through ns4.dnsimple.com shortly.
- If you are using our Anycast network with our name servers ns1a.dnsimple.com through ns4a.dnsimple.com, and your domain is registered with another registrar, then you will need to switch your name servers back to ns1.dnsimple.com through ns4.dnsimple.com at your registrar.
- If you are using our Unicast network with vanity name servers, and your domain is registered with us, then we will switch you automatically.
- If you are using our Unicast network with vanity name servers, and your domain is registered with another domain registrar, then you will need to update the IP addresses for your vanity name servers using the addresses in http://support.dnsimple.com/articles/dnsimple-nameservers
If you are required to change your name servers at another registrar, you will need to do so by March 31st, 2014. We will shut down our Unicast network permanently in April. We will also remove the ns1a through ns4a names at that time as well.
How does Anycast improve my life?
Short answer: faster, more reliable DNS for your customers around the world. For more details, take a look at the Why Anycast DNS? support article.
What is the cost for Anycast?
There is no additional charge to use our Anycast network. All customers receive the benefits from this service within their current plans.
Where are the Anycast name servers located?
We currently have 5 Points of Presence in the following locations:
- San Jose
I have more questions, what should I do?
Email email@example.com, we're always here to help.
I break things so Simone continues to have plenty to do. I occasionally have useful ideas, like building a domain and DNS provider that doesn't suck.
We think domain management should be easy.
That's why we continue building DNSimple.
4.3 out of 5 stars.
Based on Trustpilot.com and G2.com reviews.
How We Work as a Remote Team
Inspired by a recent blog post from Travis CI, I'd like to share details about how DNSimple team members work together without offices.
DNSimple Now Supports Secondary DNS Hosting
Configure DNSimple as your secondary DNS provider to improve your domain's availability and redundancy with AXFR zone transfers.