In December 2016 we released the stable version of the DNSimple API v2, we deprecated the API v1, and we announced the intention to shutdown API v1 on October 2017.
More than one year has passed and we quickly approached and passed October 2017. We decided to delay the shutdown to give customers on our V1 API a little bit more time to transition to the new API. During these extra months we worked hard to help our customers migrate to the new API, by providing assistance and contributing directly to open source projects such as Terraform, Lego, fog-dnsimple, and many others.
The time has come to set a final date for the shutdown of the API v1.
Last week we started the decommissioning phase of the API v1, and on May 31, 2018 we'll permanently shut down the API v1. Any API v1 integrations will no longer work.
We'll disable the API v1 in two stages:
- May 10, 2018 01:00 PM UTC: we'll disable the API v1 for 4 hours.
- May 31, 2018 01:00 PM UTC: we'll permanently shutdown API v1.
In order to minimize the number of users affected by this change, during the decommissioning phase we plan to take the following actions:
- With immediate effect, disable the ability to generate API v1 tokens to all newly created users/accounts, and disable the ability to generate API v1 domain tokens to all newly created domains
- With immediate effect, we introduced the same API rate limits of API v2
- March 12, 2018: Email notification to all the customers who used API v1 in the previous month
- March 30, 2018: Removal of API v1 documentation from our developer site, along with all the clients targeting only API v1.
- May 1, 2018: Removal of the ability to generate/update/access API v1 tokens from the UI
- May 1, 2018: Final reminder on the blog about API v1 removal
We understand that these changes will result in additional work for a small set of users. To facilitate the integration we highly encourage to try our official API clients. We will continue to expand the list of clients with the support for more languages.
If you have any questions or concerns related to this announcement, please don't hesitate to contact us.